How to get the most out of your city break
We all love a good city break. They’re a great way to explore new horizons and are ideal if you want to take advantage of a long weekend or need to schedule your trips around school or bank holidays.
But these mini holidays are often accompanied by a hectic schedule as you try to squeeze everything there is to see and do into just a few days.
To save time, many people book tickets for sights and activities online in advance. That said, queuing to get into the most popular attractions on a city break can still be extremely time-consuming, even though you bought the ticket at home before you left.
Now, more and more travellers are opting to pre-order a ‘skip-the-line’ ticket instead. This way, you have all the main sights (or those you’re most interested in) covered while avoiding the massive entry queues, leaving you plenty of time to enjoy the city’s gastronomy, shopping, and whatever else takes your fancy.
The team at GetYourGuide, a leading online vendor of tickets for guided tours and other experiences around the world, say skip-the-line tickets are increasing in popularity.
Whether you’ve chosen your destination already or you’re still on the fence and need some inspiration, here we give you some top tours, attractions and activities for some fantastic city break destinations as recommended by GetYourGuide. Many of these give you queue-jump access, so you can stop rushing, save time, and avoid coming home in need of another holiday.
Reward tip: Book your activities with GetYourGuide through Norwegian Reward and earn 5% CashPoints!
The British capital has something for everyone, from terrifying torture towers to lively West End musicals, traditional pubs to quirky markets. Get ready for your London adventure with these top tours and activities.
- Harry Potter Tour – Explore the enchanting sets of the Harry Potter films and walk in the footsteps of your favourite characters at the Warner Brothers Studio. Transfers are included.
- Tower of London Small Group Tour with a Beefeater – Journey back through time and listen to tales of intrigue, imprisonment, execution and torture.
- Stonehenge Admission Ticket – Book your entrance to one of the world’s most famous prehistoric monuments in advance.
- St Paul’s Cathedral: Fast-Track Entrance – Skip the line and have more time to see this beautiful cathedral, its crypt and panoramic views from the top of the dome.
- Madame Tussaud’s – Meet your favourite stars and marvel at their waxwork likenesses in this world of glitz and glam.
- River Thames Hop-On-Hop-Off Sightseeing Cruise – See London’s most famous sights on a leisurely cruise of the River Thames.
Fall in love with the most romantic city in the world. Take a look at these top things to do on your city break in Paris.
- Louvre Museum: Priority Entrance Ticket – Avoid the long lines at one of the world’s greatest museums, leaving you more time to spend with Mona.
- Eiffel Tower: Second Floor Priority Access – Stay one step ahead of the crowds and choose a priority-access ticket to the second level at this iconic structure.
- Disneyland Paris 1-Day Ticket – Travelling with little ones? Enjoy a magical day at this exciting wonderland for kids.
Ready for some retail therapy in the fashion capital of the world? Take a look at our guide to the best places to shop in Paris.
A city break in Rome is the perfect combination of history, culture, architecture and, of course, delicious food. If you’re planning to jet off to the Eternal City, then don’t miss these tours and activities.
- Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel & Saint Peter’s Guided Tour – Explore the Vatican corridors, marvel at the exquisite Sistine Chapel and be awed by the dramatic St. Peter’s Basilica.
- Skip the Line: Colosseum, Forum & Ancient Rome Guided Tour – Walk in the footsteps of Roman emperors and citizens on a 3-hour tour of Ancient Rome with skip-the-line entrance.
- 2-Hour Evening Segway Tour of Rome – See the iconic sights of Rome illuminated in this 2-hour Segway tour after dark.
Don’t forget, if you’re not up for any guided tours, you can also simply book Fast-Track entry to the city’s main sights.
- Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill – Discover the remains of some of the greatest monuments of Rome at your own pace.
- Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel Fast-Track Entry – The queues can be massive for one of the most visited museums in the world, so skip-the-line entry is a good idea on your city break.
Visiting the Italian capital with your other half? Take a look at the 10 most romantic things to see and do in Rome.
There’s so much more to Amsterdam than just coffee shops. This popular city break destination is packed full of cool things to do, from canal cruises to beer tasting.
- Amsterdam: 1.5-Hour Evening Canal Cruise – See Amsterdam at its most picturesque as you float by the illuminated merchant houses and learn where the local hotspots are.
- Heineken Experience Ticket – Discover what makes this world-famous beer so ‘dam good.
- Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum and Tour – Over 400 masterpieces from great artists such as Frans Hals, Vermeer and Rembrandt await you at one of the city’s grandest museums.
- Van Gogh Museum Ticket – No trip to Amsterdam would be complete without taking in the amazing works of the Dutch master himself.
Beach, mountains, great tapas, amazing architecture… Barcelona has it all. Make the most of your trip to the Catalan capital and get these attractions booked in advance.
- Sagrada Familia Skip-the-Line Guided Tour – Over 100 years in the making and still not complete. Avoid the long lines and discover the story of Gaudí’s unfinished masterpiece.
- Barcelona Aquarium: Skip-the-Line Admission Ticket – This one’s great if you’re on a city break with kids. Don’t miss the 80m long underwater tunnel.
- Park Güell Admission Ticket – Enjoy amazing panoramic views of this Mediterranean hub and spot the animals Gaudí integrated into the colourful designs of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Hop-On Hop-Off Barcelona City Tour 1 or 2 Day – You pick the stops on this 1 or 2-day city tour.
- Camp Nou Tour – A must for all football fans. Retrace the steps of Barça’s legendary team on this tour of the largest stadium in Europe.
The Swedish capital is said to be ‘a beauty on water’ and it’s clear to see why. Its charming setting on across a number of islands is like no other, and while it’s packed with historical structures and colourful buildings, this dynamic, stylish and progressive city may surprise you…
- Archipelago Cruise with Guide – Cruise the waterways of Stockholm with this 2.5-hour sightseeing tour.
- Stockholm City Tour: Old Town & Vasa Museum – Listen to stories and legends of early life in the Swedish capital as you explore the colourful streets of Gamla Stan then enjoy skip-the-line-entry to the Vasa Museum.
- Stockholm Sightseeing Tour by Segway – Zip around the main sights of Stockholm and see the highlights of the city like the Royal Castle and Skeppsholmen on this 2-hour guided tour.
- Skansen Open-Air Museum – Sweden’s oldest open-air museum and zoo combines historic structures (including a replica of a 19th-century town) and endemic creatures to form one of the city’s top attractions.
Berlin is a creative hub of music, street art and museums, dotted with historic landmarks and reminders of the city’s turbulent past. Explore the intriguing sights of this vibrant city.
- Berlin Sights and Highlights Bike Tour – Discover the German capital’s most famous sights on this 3.5-hour journey through the history of Berlin, including the sobering Holocaust Memorial and the Berlin Wall.
- Berlin: 2.5-Hour Boat Tour Along the River Spree – Sail around Museum Island and the spectacular Berlin Cathedral on this river cruise.
- Berlin Street Art and Graffiti Tour and Workshop – Fully immerse yourself in Berlin’s rich artistic community with a tour of the city’s cool street art, and later, a hands-on workshop with local artists.